Background Switcher (Hidden)

Waiting for Piper

Thursday, September 20, 2012


Bird photography requires great patience and a quiet, still center. You must be willing to wait for the moment when the bird you're after finally shows up and does the thing you're trying so hard to photograph. You set yourself up and make sure you're in the right place at the right time and then you hope.

I do a ton of bird photography; I spend part of every day doing it. That's because my studio window is set up to look out on one bodacious planted bird paradise of a yard. I'm bragging because I done made it myself. Everything that's there we planted, and the birds thank us by coming in close.

But waiting for Piper isn't like tapping away at your keyboard and staring to your left, then grabbing your camera as I'm doing right now. (I've taken dozens of photos of hummingbirds and yellow-throated, prairie, pine and Blackburnian warblers while trying to get this post written). It was a much more purposeful thing, because I had to wake up at 4:45, clear the blear from my eyes and be ready to rock.

Sometimes Piper would show up when there was enough light to catch him, and sometimes he wouldn't.

But other birds showed up.



Male cardinal, born this summer. He's getting his all-red bill and breast. 


Another one, peering up at me from the bell post. I love these scruffily endearing babies.

I did not expect a female Baltimore oriole to drop in while I was fruitlessly waiting for Piper to come back. But I was very grateful that she chose to check out the landscape roses growing by the water garden. The light was very low, but luscious.


There were more--tufted titmice and Carolina chickadees; a scruffy-looking common yellowthroat. But my favorite of the bonus birds I saw while waiting for Piper was this one: a Baltimore oriole fledgling. Oh, thank you for choosing poke as your perch. Your colors are divine. Positively tropical!



Just look at your little blue feet, you cute thing. Ahh, I love freshly minted birds.



I realized that I could just hang out the bedroom window all morning, Piper or no Piper. But oh, when he did appear...

4 comments:

Bonitas capturas,me gustan especialmente las del Cardenal.Saludos

Muchas gracias, Isidro. Usted tiene un nombre hermoso. Isidro Ortiz! Me gusta.

BLUE FEET?

I could almost swear that you did something to that farm bell to lure Piper. But, then I read your earlier post.
Well done.

[Back to Top]